IT service management involves complex practices and procedures, especially as companies grow. As a result, keeping a close eye on every aspect of the service management framework can be challenging to ensure that all core functions are being performed efficiently. In addition, manually auditing an ITSM system can take much time, and this takes from the time available actually to correct issues or inefficiencies as they arise.
As a result, businesses should take a closer look at ITSM analytics tools and software platforms that include them to make it easier to observe and react to this data. To help businesses get started, we are going to cover the following:
- Why ITSM analytics are important
- How to use ITSM analytics for decision-making
- How to get started
Why Are ITSM Analytics Important
As firms grow, their influx of service requests grows. Larger books of business lead to more customer support tickets, more extensive IT networks lead to more internal tickets, and growth requires comprehensive lists of change management tasks and new assets. In addition, building out the ITSM system to include more helpful tools and services means that there will be more SLAs to keep track of, ensuring that all services are being rendered promptly.
This is why quality analytics and dashboards through which to read them are so vital in maintaining IT infrastructure. Getting an at-a-glance overview of all the major data points related to service management success is the key to reacting quickly when ticket response times slow down, SLA response targets stop being met consistently, or change tasks are left incomplete for too long.
How to Use ITSM Analytics for Decision-Making
ITSM analytics can be used to identify issues, and gauge their severity, aiding in prioritization. When businesses are able to look at all vital measures of success at once, it makes it easier to figure out what needs to be addressed first. It also helps to track the success of previous changes by generating reports that take a look at key metrics before and after a change was implemented.
Below is a list of examples of observations found on a typical ITSM analytics dashboard, and how a business owner can use them to improve their system:
Sudden increase in open support tickets
- Reach out to the support team to identify issues
- Is there a root cause issue, perhaps a problem that affects multiple customers or services? This is when you might invoke your problem management processes.
- Contact IT to get started on incident resolution if there is a outage to service or product
- Shift some duties temporarily to allow support staff to focus on the sudden influx of tickets if there is no system issue
Average hours taken for incident resolution increasing after a new solution has been adopted
- Improve staff training on the new IT solution
- Submit IT request to audit whether the solution is operating properly
SLA response targets being met <90% of the time
- Increase staffing to reduce individual workloads
- Create new, more efficient workflows for support staff
- Implement new solutions to automate logistics and speed up response capability
These are some of the simplest ways that ITSM analytics can be used to make important changes to a service management system. More predictive analytics and comprehensive reports come with higher-quality software solutions, allowing business owners to take preventative measures before problems arise.
Luckily, Vivantio offers in-depth and predictive analytics, as well as customizable dashboards through which to observe them.
Take Advantage of ITSM Analytics with Vivantio
While each of the benefits listed in this article works wonders for businesses, they won’t help if managers choose a platform that doesn’t offer all of the necessary features. Vivantio offers a cutting-edge customer service software platform that offers everything listed and more, including:
- White-label service portals so businesses can maintain a cohesive brand throughout the service process
- Comprehensive analytics with customizable dashboards
- Automatic ticket routing to ensure every ticket gets to the proper agent
- Workflow designer tool that allows managers to customize the framework of their CS operations without any technical knowledge required
- A holistic view of each client to ensure that no agent is left without vital information
For more than two decades, Vivantio has been helping clients optimize their service organizations by utilizing ITSM analytics. To find out how Vivantio can help you improve ticket lifecycle management, contact our team today or register for a free demo.